PDSDC Jobs: This position is located in the Administrative Services Division of the Public Defender Service (PDS) for the District of Columbia. The Administrative Services Division is responsible for providing administrative support to all divisions within PDS. The Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia (PDS) is a federally funded, independent organization governed by an eleven-member Board of Trustees.
PDS provides legal representation to individuals facing a loss of freedom in the local criminal, delinquency, and mental health systems in the District of Columbia. PDS’s approximately 235 employees, comprised of attorneys, social workers, investigative specialists, and administrative, and technical staff, collaborate with each other to advance the PDS mission. PDS’s main office is located at 633 Indiana Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. District of Columbia residency is not a requirement for employment.
U.S. PDSDC Information Receptionist Jobs
The incumbent is under the supervision of the Chief Administrative Officer and is responsible for receiving and directing persons who call or visit the agency and giving them information in person or by telephone concerning the organizations, functions, programs, activities, operations, and personnel of the agency.
The incumbent also provides backup administrative assistance to organization divisions in support of division missions and goals. Employment at the Public Defender Service (PDS) is neither federal nor District of Columbia government employment, and all employees are at-will is considered Excepted Service.
PDSDC Career – Information Receptionist Jobs
- One year of clerical general experience above the high school level is desirable. College education may be substituted for general experience on the basis of one academic year equals nine months of experience. Customer service experience and demeanor are highly desirable. It is desirable that applicants have knowledge of, and skill in applying basic business office rules, procedures, and operations sufficient to perform a full range of support tasks within a legal office environment. Accurate typing skills, basic data entry skills, and knowledge of MS Office Suites are a plus for maintaining directories, personnel lists, and other guides and references.
- For applicants with disabilities, this organization provides reasonable accommodations which will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
- You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
- Your application package includes your letter of interest, resume, and requested supporting documents. Please ensure your application package includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position. Failure to provide sufficient evidence in your application package and requested supporting documents can result in a rejection of your application package.
- Serves as information receptionist located at the primary point of contact in the main PDS building with responsibility for providing information in person or over the telephone, in response to inquiries concerning the identification, location, and general responsibilities of organizations, functions, programs, activities, operations, and personnel of the agency.
- Receives all duty day calls from clients seeking legal assistance or information concerning their cases; determines the purpose of their calls and identifies their needs for assistance; determines the appropriate legal service office or individual attorney involved in the case; enters duty day calls in the computer system (Atticus System) including the name of the client and the attorney representing the case; and refers them to the appropriate office or attorney.
- Receives all walk-in visitors to the agency, directs visitors to appropriate offices or individuals for meetings, and refers those seeking legal assistance to the duty day attorney for consultation. Maintains records of visitors and inquiry tallies.
- Receives all incoming mail and packages, including FedEx and courier mail; sorts them by individual offices for distribution.
- Maintains up-to-date agency staff directory and locator records and directives, directory for other legal services agencies having similar or related functions, and other references such as duty day roster, bulletin board items, etc.
Pay Scale & Salary
- PD 6 ($47,789 – $62,122 per year) PDS-AD-0304-6 (GS-6 Equivalent)
|Starting Date for Apply
|07 September 2023
|Closing Date for Apply
|17 September 2023
- Cover Letter
How to Apply
- You must provide a complete application package which includes: (1) a cover letter and in the cover letter provide an explanation as to why you are leaving your current or most recent position); (2) Resume. Provide your application package to HR Specialist Brigette Carrington, Office of Human Resources, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia, Job Announcement PDS-2023-48, 633 Indiana Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20004 as MS Word or PDF document attachments to the following email address: [email protected]. The vacancy announcement number and title of the vacancy MUST APPEAR on the subject line of the email.
- All applicants’ materials become the property of PDS and will not be returned. For questions or concerns regarding this vacancy announcement or hiring process, please contact HR Specialist, Brigette Carrington at (202) 824-2237 or via the email address listed above.
Agency Contact Information
- [email protected]
- Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia 633 Indiana Ave., NW Washington, DC 20004 US
Non-Federal Civilian Customers Important Links
Conclusion: If you’re interested in a non-federal civilian role as an Information Receptionist at the Public Defender Service in Washington, D.C., now is the time to apply. This position offers a competitive salary and an opportunity to be part of an organization dedicated to providing legal assistance to those in need. Make sure to submit a comprehensive application package, including a cover letter and resume, by the closing date of 17 September 2023, to HR Specialist Brigette Carrington at [email protected].