U.S. Department of Energy Electrician (Construction) Job: The Electrician (Construction) position is part of the Transmission Services Division within the Bonneville Power Administration. Located within Transmission Field Services (TF) specifically in Construction and Maintenance Services (TFH). Successful candidates are involved in the installation and adjustment of electrical equipment in substations. The electrician (Construction) is responsible for performing construction tasks related to electrical equipment, including installation and calibration.
Department of Energy Job Opportunity in USA for Electrician (Construction) Apply Now
The Bonneville Power Administration is located in the Pacific Northwest and is a self-funded federal power marketing administration. BPA’s main objective is to wholesale market electric energy and it covers its costs by selling its products and services. BPA wholesales electric energy from 31 federal hydroelectric projects and from some smaller non-federal power plants.
US Department of Energy Electrician Jobs Opening
- Electrician (Construction) Department of Energy Bonneville Power Administration has the following qualifications:
- For the post of Electrician, the applicant has to fulfill the following requirements:
- Experience and Training: Experience and training do not require any specific period of time; the applicant’s resume must reflect the knowledge and skills required and emphasize the quality of the experience.
- Screen-out Element: To be eligible, must have the ability to perform most of the following duties under general supervision:
- Perform maintenance, installation, modification, calibration and repair of electrical substations, power generation/transmission/distribution equipment and systems at voltages ranging from 11,000 to 500,000 volts.
- To climb, maintain and repair electrical substations.
- Working with Transformer Banks.
- Working Conditions: Work is performed under the direction of an electrician foreman and involves work in varying degrees of hazardous conditions. Applicants are responsible for safety practices, completing tasks safely, and documenting the work. Overtime is required to ensure system reliability.
- Physical Requirements: The Electrician (Construction) position involves physical demands, including installing, adjusting, diagnostic testing major electrical equipment, driving, and sometimes directing others in the trade.
- Note: “Experience” includes both paid and unpaid work, such as volunteer service, that is relevant to the position. Volunteer work enhances skills.
- This information can be used to fill as many positions as needed, so applicants must meet the qualifications when their application is reviewed.
- There are no specific educational requirements for this position substituting education for experience.
Electrician Jobs in US Department of Energy Overview
$59.63 – $59.63 per hour
- Pay scale & grade
many vacancies in the following locations:
- Vancouver, WA
- Remote job
- Telework eligible
- Travel Required
76% or greater – You may be expected to travel for this position.
- Relocation expenses reimbursed
- Appointment type
- Work schedule
- Promotion potential
- Job family (Series)
2810 High Voltage Electrician
- Supervisory status
- Security clearance
- Drug test
- Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
- Trust determination process
- Announcement number
- Control number
|Starting Date for Apply
|14 April 2023
|Closing Date for Apply
|4 April 2024
- Duties An electrician is responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing major electrical equipment, including transformers and circuit breakers. They assemble control and relay panels, install switchboards and communications equipment, and erect steel structures to support electrical gear. Additionally, they operate on-ground systems and perform switching procedures as needed for safety and maintenance purposes.
Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Special employment conditions:
- Candidate must be a US citizen.
Participation in the E-Verify Program.
- Registration for Selective Service if born after 12/31/1959 (Male).
- Suitable for federal employment based on background checks.
- Requires successful completion of probation period.
- Adherence to safety practices outlined in the BPA Accident Prevention Manual.
- Possession and maintenance of First Aid and CPR cards within 1 year of appointment.
- A clearance certificate and electrical worker’s permit are required within 1 year and continuously thereafter.
- Possession of a valid State Driver’s License upon employment of Commercial Driver’s License with necessary endorsements within 120 days.
- Certification on aerial lift or other equipment if assigned.
- First aid refresher training as needed.
- Availability for emergency work at any time.
- Operating a variety of vehicles including towing equipment and trailers.
- Ability to wear protective clothing, such as a respirator, when necessary for safety.
- Passing radiation training and written examination for Richland positions.
- Completion of Power System Electrician Orientation Training in first year.
- Initial drug testing before appointment and random drug/alcohol testing after appointment.
- Pre-employment medical examination at BPA’s expense due to physical requirements.
- A medical examination is possible at scheduled periodic intervals, such as after employment, in case of exposure to health hazards.
How will applicants be evaluated?
- How will applicants be evaluated for Electrician (Construction) Department of Energy Bonneville Power Administration:
- Assessment for this position is based on how well the candidate meets the qualifications and how the assessment process works.
- Direct-Hire Authority (DHA): This post has been declared as per the government-wide Direct-Hire Authority for Electrician (Construction) posts in the 2810 series. If you meet the education and qualification requirements for the grade level for which you are applying, your application will be forwarded to the Selection Officer for consideration. Traditional rating and ranking of applicants, preference of veterans and category rating are not applicable as per the DHA process.
- Evaluation Criteria: Applicant eligibility is evaluated based on the following qualifications:
- Ability to perform the functions of the position without more than general supervision
- Application Expiry: Please note that applications expire 90 days after receipt.
- Career Change Assistance Schemes: If eligible for Career Change Assistance Schemes such as ICTAP or CTAP, the applicant must meet the education and qualification requirements listed.
- Completeness of Application: Ensure that the applicant’s curriculum vitae is complete and directly supports the answers given in the online questionnaire. Failure to submit all required documents before vacancy closure may result in an ‘Ineligible’ or ‘Not Qualified’ rating.
- Applicants have to fulfill all the qualifications and eligibility requirements by the last date of announcement (04/13/2024).
- To preview the evaluation questionnaire click on the following link: Evaluation Questionnaire Preview.
- Electrician (Construction) Documents Required for Department of Energy Bonneville Power Administration:
- Application for this position requires a complete application package including the following documents:
- Resume: The resume must detail all relevant work experience, both paid and unpaid. Information about duties performed, full names and addresses of employers, start and end dates, work schedule (part-time, full-time, intermittent), salary, and any completed education and training are included.
- Cover Letter (optional): A cover letter expressing additional information not included in the applicant’s resume is included.
- Transcript (if applicable): If the job announcement specifies educational requirements, transcripts are to be provided. Unofficial transcripts or reports listing institution, course title, credits earned, and final grades are acceptable.
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation (if applicable): To include relevant documentation such as Certification of Intended Separation, Notice of Reduction in Forced Separation, Notice of Proposed Removal, SF-50 documenting RIF separation action, And latest performance appraisal if applicable.
- Failure to submit any of the required documents will result in an incomplete application by the applicant and affect eligibility for the post. Make sure your application package includes all required documents.
How to Apply
- Follow these steps when applying for the Electrician (Construction) position at the Department of Energy, Bonneville Power Administration:
- Read the Announcement: Applicants are required to carefully review the entire job announcement and instructions before beginning the application.
- Create a Login.gov account: Signing in to USAJOBS requires creating a Login.gov account.
- Start Applying: Applicants are required to click on the “Apply Online” button in the job announcement to begin the application process at USAJOBS.
- Complete the Application: Answer all questions presented in the application and attach any required documents specified in the “Required Documents” section.
- Submit your application: Make sure you click on the “Submit Application” button before 11:59 p.m. (ET) on the announcement closing date. Late applications will not be considered.
- Application Updates: Applicants may update their applications and supporting documentation at any time during the announcement’s open period by logging into their USAJOBS account.
- Check Application Status: After submitting the application, log in to your USAJOBS account to verify the application status. The application status and last updated date are displayed.
- If you encounter problems during the application process, applicants should visit the USAJOBS Help Center for assistance. If the applicant requires additional assistance, the agency contact listed in the announcement is to be contacted during regular business hours. If the applicant receives system error messages, technical support may attempt to capture a screenshot.
Agency Contact Information:-
- Shaunna Young
Bonneville Power Administration
P.O. Box 3621
Portland, OR 97208
Important Links for Department Of Energy US Department of Energy Jobs in United States
Conclusion: Electrician jobs at Bonneville Power Administration in the Pacific Northwest. Install and maintain electrical equipment. A self-funded agency within the US Department of Energy. Competitive salary and online application.