Department of Homeland Security: DHS is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace, and ensure resilience to disasters. Open & closing dates 11/15/2022 to 09/30/2023
The DHS Joint Duty Program (JDP) is an intra- and inter-departmental program that offers civilian personnel professional and developmental opportunities. Joint Duty Assignments (JDAs) enhance operations and mission execution through unity of effort and collaboration. The Senior Watch Officer will support the operational environment at the tactical, operational, and strategic levels, and proactively address threats and incidents.
The DHS JDP covers current Federal employees at the GS-13 through GS-15 grade levels and equivalent. The DHS JDP does not apply to members of the military service or contractors. JDAs do not offer Temporary Promotions. the CBP Watch maintains global situational awareness of CBP employees and activities with 24/7, comprehensive situational awareness of the intelligence and operational environments, and provides the Office of the Commissioner, CBP’s front-line leadership and operators, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the whole-of-government a complete, accurate, and timely operating picture that serves as the foundation of communications and information for and within the national border security environment.
US Department of Homeland Security Careers and Employment
The DHS JDP is a human capital program initiative that is managed by OCHCO at DHS headquarters. The DHS JDP’s purpose is two-fold: to encourage and facilitate assignments of DHS personnel to other DHS components as well as outside agencies. The purpose of JDAs is to gain multi-component, multi-faceted experience focused on cross-cutting DHS and Federal-wide operations to enhance the performance of the individual, the organizations, and the Department. JDAs are for a period not to exceed 1 year and do not qualify for Joint Duty credit.
This assignment is a 1-year non-reimbursable assignment. We encourage you to read the entire announcement prior to submitting your application. The incumbent serves as a US Senior Watch Officer jobs located within the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Operations Support Office, CBP Watch.
US Senior Watch Officer Jobs
- Knowledge of CBP structure, missions, programs, and organizational relationships to meet the mission of the agency.
- Knowledge of CBP, DHS, and Intelligence Community databases and tools, as well as familiarity with GIS capabilities to gather, review, collate, and analyze all-source intelligence and information.
- Knowledge of using a Common Operating Picture and/or common Intelligence Picture in an intelligence-based law enforcement environment.
- Skill in analyzing procedures, organizations, and other subjects wide in scope, and composed of many important, complex tasks.
- Skill with research and analysis of all source information and intelligence.
- Skill in presenting information in oral and/or written forms.
- Ability to represent the organization, within DHS, and to resolve different and entrenched viewpoints.
- Ability to lead a dynamic, fast-paced team, work independently with minimal oversight, and be responsive to incidents and emerging threats.
How You Will Be Evaluated
- We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education, and training will be rated using a job questionnaire based on the competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this Joint Duty Assignment.
- If you are among the best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. After reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination will be made. You must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
- DHS continues to take necessary steps to keep our workforce safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic. If you receive a final Joint Duty Assignment offer to onboard, please complete the onboarding requirements and/or forms and submit them electronically in an expeditious manner. Your start date may be delayed if the action above is not completed.
- The employee selected for this temporary supervisory DHS JDP assignment will partner with law enforcement operations leads, Intelligence Research Specialists, and subject matter experts to ensure the accurate and timely reporting of all significant incidents to senior CBP and DHS Officials, and will oversee the CBP Watch operations to ensure timely reporting of incidents and ensuring procedures and policies are followed.
- Perform the full range of team leadership duties and provide administrative and technical supervision for accomplishing the work of the unit.
- Gather, review, and collate message traffic to alert appropriate leadership and organizations to new developments and significant changes to their area of responsibility.
- Plan and direct activities, and partner with Intelligence Research Specialists on the analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of data to assess its relevance and determine the significance of impact for a major geographical area.
- Led and oversaw the deployment of a variety of data analysis tools, techniques, and procedures, using advanced analytics to position the office to target complex, domestically and internationally-focused illicit finance threats.
- Produce CBP Watch operational and intelligence products, both written products and oral briefs, under supervision, and develop written products/oral briefings of findings to supervisor prior to presenting to superiors.
Pay Scale & Grade
- GS 14
|Starting Date for Apply
|15 November 2022
|Closing Date for Apply
|30 September 2023
- Resume: Do not include any personally identifiable information (PII) i.e., home address, social security number, or date of birth. Your resume must clearly demonstrate you have experience that meets the requirements of this position as outlined in the “Qualifications” section.
- SF-50:Submit a copy of your official SF-50 (no text version) or another official “Notification of Personnel Action” document that shows the following information:
- Your appointment in the Federal service
- Grade and Step
- Full performance level
- If your SF-50(s) does not provide the information needed to make a final determination for qualification, you will be found ineligible for the position.
- DHS Joint Duty Assignment Application Form signed by your supervisor. Please click on the following link to access the required form DHS Form 250-02.
How to Apply
- All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 09/30/2023 to receive consideration.
- To begin, clickApply Online to create a USA JOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and other supporting documents, and complete the questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package. It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link, and then select the More information link for this position. The Application page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency Contact Information
- DHS Joint Duty Program
- [email protected]
- DHS Joint Duty Program 301 7th Street SW Washington, DC 20024 US
Department of Homeland Security Important Links
Conclusion: The US Department of Homeland Security is seeking a highly qualified individual to serve as a Senior Watch Officer within the Customs and Border Protection agency. This critical role involves overseeing operations, intelligence analysis, and reporting, contributing to national border security efforts. Candidates must possess a deep understanding of CBP and DHS operations, proficiency in intelligence tools, and the ability to lead and communicate effectively. This one-year assignment at the GS-14 grade level offers a unique opportunity for career development and contributing to the safety and security of the nation. Interested individuals should apply online by the closing date of 25 January 2024.